Thursday, March 8, 2012

SxSWEDU Buzzword: Curator

A popular buzzword at SXSWEDU and in the vernacular of other online networks is for educators to be more like curators. This is a science I feel many of us (me included) are not so great at.

We find great resources and share them but how often do we expand on why we like them before we share.

This is the concept we fail to teach our kids when they turn in projects involving search but not REsearch. They find materials online that state a point of view but they don't correlate why that point of view is valid to the ideas they need to present in their project.

Same for how often I tweet, retweet or share a particular research. Part of it is time. I want to rush out a great tool in the rush and overflow of sharing tools on my networks. But I fail because I don't add my personal value for the tool.

This the CONTEXT of the resource and context is key for understanding why the idea is shared.

I missed this session on Educators as Curators but I found the online presentation and want to share it. This is "Re-envisioning Modern Pedagogy: Educators as Curators" from St. Edwards University.

Fabulous slide design too! 


1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate the notion of educators as curators. While I have not thought of this in curator terms, I have long sensed a need for more contextualization of why we like something and why we are adopting/promoting it. For example, I think many people are easily enamored with the latest and greatest technology and quickly acquire it before developing a rationale for why they need it and how they will use it. This post confirms my notion that a Philosophy of Technological Use is needed in Education...something I hope to address in the future as I have opportunity.

    ReplyDelete